Castle Liebegg was built during the second half of the 12th century, when a branch of the Lords of Trostburg split off and at a distance of only half a kilometer a new ancestral seat was built. These gentlemen of Liebegg, mentioned for the first time in 1241, were a ministerial family of the counts of Habsburg-Laufenburg, later the main line of the Habsburgs. The first building was replaced by the "new castle" in the second half of the 13th century. From 1318 to 1371, the Knights of Glarus from Zurich were involved in half of the rule.
From 1415 the Liebegg was in the dominion of the city of Bern. The successor of Liebegger died in 1433 and their possession fell by inheritance to the Lords of Luternau. These were an old noble family from Luthern near Willisau and amongst the most influental families of the city of Bern from the 16th century.
In 1602, the distinguished Escher family from Zurich acquired the Liebegg estate.
In 1616 Graviseth, originally from Heidelberg, followed.
From 1668 to 1709, the rule was in the possession of the closely related lords of Landenberg and returned by exchange back to the family Graviseth.
By marriage with a daughter of the Graviseth familiy, Liebegg came in 1764 in the possession of the influential family of Diesbach from Bern. They lost all their sovereign rights after the March invasion of the Frenchmen in March 1798.
After 1875 the industrialist family Hunziker from Aarau had bought the castle, it was subjected 1907 to a thorough renovation. In 1946, the castle became the property of the canton of Aargau and today serves as a conference and cultural center.